The Houston Area Women’s Center’s Counseling Program creates a safe and therapeutic environment of healing for survivors of domestic and sexual violence. In group, counseling clients can share experiences, learn about and identify ways to heal from the effects of trauma, develop coping skills and recognize and acknowledge personal strengths. Group counseling provides a venue for survivors to break the silence, reduce feelings of shame and isolation and connect with other survivors. We offer a variety of times for support groups which include daytime, evening and Saturday hours. Free counseling services are available for women, children and men. Clients consistently report high satisfaction with counseling services. Individual counseling is also available on a limited basis. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic or sexual violence, please call one of our hotlines. Domestic Violence 713.528.2121 or the Rape Crisis Hotline 713.528.7273.
Support Groups provide a connection to other survivors
We offer 39 weekly support groups for survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
Individual Counseling provides one on one attention to survivors
Individual counseling is available to survivors who may not be ready for group, or when a support group is not available for them. The majority of our clients report satisfaction and improvement from attending group counseling, which provides a powerful opportunity to break the silence, reduce feelings of shame and isolation and connect with other survivors experiencing similar issues.
Domestic Violence Counseling for Adult Survivors
- Individual and group counseling options for women and men.
- Community-based counseling and advocacy services for individuals with disabilities.
- Services provided in English and Spanish, with accommodations for all other languages and abilities.
- Provide resources and referrals based on individual's specific needs.
- Expert testimony in civil and criminal cases.
- See Shelter information
Counseling for Adult Survivors of Sexual Assault & Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Individual and group counseling.
- Support services for survivors who are impacted by sexual violence committed by someone known to the survivor as well as a stranger.
- Community-based counseling and advocacy services provided for individuals with disabilities.
- Services provided in English and Spanish, and all languages accommodated.
- Expert testimony in civil and criminal case.
Counseling for Children and Youth
Through our services, parents and caregivers can find relief in knowing that any child who has experienced sexual or domestic violence will be listened to, heard and believed. Children are encouraged to ask questions about anything that happens in counseling, and have the right to decide whether or not they want to participate in any counseling activities or discussions. Counseling can be interesting, and, believe it or not, fun! It can also be painful. The child and counselor work together to make counseling sessions safe and supportive, so the child can experience and express his or her feelings and thoughts. During each session, counselors facilitate interactive, age-appropriate activities designed to allow each child to share when they are ready.
Children and Youth counseling includes:
- Individual and group counseling for children (ages 5-18) who have witnessed domestic violence.
- Individual and group counseling for teens that have witnessed domestic violence and/or experienced dating violence.
- Individual and group counseling for children (ages 5-18) who are survivors of sexual for survivors of sexual violence committed by someone known to the survivor as well as a stranger.
- Therapeutic childcare provided for the children of adult clients (under age six) during domestic violence survivor's support group.
Call our 24-Hour hotlines to learn more about counseling services or schedule an appointment.
Domestic Violence Hotline - 713.528.2121
Sexual Assault Hotline - 713.528.RAPE (7273)